Home is one of the most sensitive places since it is the place where we spend most of our time with the people that we love. As such, we should take enough precautions to ensure that our homes are safe for living.
One of the precautions that we should take to ensure that our homes are safe is by routinely cleaning them to avoid occurrence of diseases. However, even those individuals with the cleanest homes still get surprised to find mold and mildew in various spots in their homes.
Strange smells in the house may be coming from damp areas that have become damp from water draining from pipes or rain seeping through various spots such as cracks. In order to hide the strange smells coming from these places, some people try to use air-fresheners but once their effect wears off, the strange smell return.
Applying air fresheners doesn’t prevent molds and mildew from growing. The results of molds and mildew growth can be devastating.
A good solution for protecting homes against molds and mildew is by use of home dehumidifiers. House dehumidifiers can reduce the moisture in the house by up to 45%. They are installed as part of the home’s heating and cooling system. This allows them to regulate moisture in every room of the house.
You can have a house dehumidifier to regulate the moisture in the house even when you are not using your heating and conditioning system.
When the amount of moisture content in a house goes above 50%, all sorts of problems begin to manifest. There is increased mold growth, increased dust mites, and viruses and fungi that may result in various kinds of illnesses. Increased humidity in the house could also result to sticky surfaces or increased sweating.
If the moisture problems in the house are being caused by cracks, leaking pipes. or some other plumbing problems, they should be corrected. But if the humidity is coming from other sources, then you need to consider house dehumidifiers which will help to regulate humidity in the house.
Apart from taking precaution on cleanliness, a home owner should also ensure that they eliminate items that could be hazardous to individuals living in the home. Asbestos is considered as one of the most hazardous items that are of a major concern.
Asbestos is a heat resistant fibrous material that is used as an insulator. Asbestos is considered highly carcinogenic with even tiny asbestos fabrics causing devastating effects. It is estimated that nearly 35 million households in United Stated are contaminated with this dangerous product.
Despite the heavy contamination in households, majority of the home owners are not sure if their homes are free of asbestos. In order to determine the extent of contamination, home owners can carry out asbestos testing to check for the presence of the toxic material.
An individual can take samples from various spots in the house where one is most likely to find traces of asbestos. Testing can be done by a professional or by use of a DIY asbestos testing kit.